Hello!! Here is a HUGE update on my trip!
Thursday, December 29th
Climbing Masada was a great trip. I felt amazed when learning about what a big city was built up there and then the tragic events that followed.
The climb down was a breeze and the views were beautiful, it was a great day, not too cold or hot. At the bottom, I said goodbye to my cousin Josh and his family and I left with my cousins Shikea, Israel, and Jake to go back to Jerusalem.
In Jerusalem we went to dinner at Café Rimon on Ben Yehuda street (same name as the café I ate at in Crown Heights but, no affiliation and very different food). By the way, Rimon means pomegranate in Hebrew. Dinner was delicious! We had a bunch of salads and hummus for an appetizer and then ordered a mixed grilled meat plate for the table, which was really great. As my parents know, I am usually not a big fan of just meat, like steak, but this was very good. After dinner, I said goodbye to my cousins, who I would not see again till Sunday.
Then I walked back to the Hostel and showered and went to bed to get ready for the next busy day!
Friday, December 30th
I woke up with a big to do list to write. I first went to daven at the Kotel, then coffee (of course) in the Old City. Then I went to the area around Ben Yehuda Street to go shopping for a few things for Shabbos. I bought a new skirt and a scarf. Then I went to the pharmacy and bought tissues, water, and a Shabbos snack.
I went back to the Hostel to get ready for Shabbos! At 4:20 I lit candles and then read for a bit. Then around 5:30 I went to the Kotel, which was packed. It was neat to see all of the people but also extremely overwhelming and distracting. It was difficult to hear a minyan and loud in general (the cell phones and tourists were a bit frustrating.) Then I went to the Fox- Ashrei’s for dinner. Luckly, I ran into Mrs. Fox- Ashrei near her house because, if not, I probably would have been a little lost.
Dinner was unlike any other. The Fox-Ashrei’s were very spiritual and connected to Jerusalem. They had 4 other guests and their youngest daughter. 3 of the guests were going to Yeshiva in Jerusalem and then another man. Their house was very colorful and over looked the Old City.
Saturday, December 31st
The next morning I woke up sans alarm around 8:50, got ready and went to the Kotel. At first I was a bit confused and it was hard to find a service (and the tourists definitely did not help). I finally found Rabbi Machlis and his minyan. His laining was great, loud and clear, and the service reminded me of home. After, he had a small Kiddush that was open to the public at the Kotel and then we started walking to his house for lunch. There were about 10 or 12 of us walking back to his house and I thought those were all of the guests, boy was I wrong!! We walked into a PACKED house, 70 or 80 people. It was great, all different people, a lot of young people and even some soldiers. I sat a table with a young girl from Illinois here on winter break, another women at a Chabad seminary, and a young Israeli boy, Josef, studying to be a Rabbi. Lunch was crazy, so many people! We washed at our seats from huge tubs and the Rabbizin made these HUGE delicious challahs. It was definitely an experience. Many people got up and gave a short d’var Torah during the meal. It was very powerful.
After lunch, A Yeshiva boy, Josef, and I walked back to the old city. We stopped by the Breslov Yeshiva to look at the view of the Old City as the sun started to set, it was awesome! Then we walked the Yeshiva boy to the Kotel and Josef and I went to the Heritage House (a Jewish Hostel) for Shalosh Seudos (the 3rd meal of Shabbat).
Then I went back to my Hostel to get ready to meet Alessandra, a friend from high school in San Antonio who now lives in Jerusalem with her husband. We met for coffee and it was so great to see her again! Then we went and met her husband, who was very nice. After we stopped by her place for some yummy Cholent (Shabbos stew) leftovers.
For New Years, I went back to the Old City and met with a friend for ice cream. Ben Yehuda street looked insane and I did not want to deal with the crowd. I was not sure if the Israelis would celebrate New Years (because their calendar is different) but they definitely did!! The streets looked packed from afar.
HAPPY NEW YEARS
I am looking forward to 2012. I know it will be a bright year full of change and light.
Sunday, January 1st
It was my last day in Jerusalem and I was sad to leave. I started off the morning with Shacharis at the Kotel. I waited till the last day to write a prayer and put it in the wall. Now was the time. I wrote a beautiful and very meaningful prayer and put it in the wall where I davened (prayed).
Saying goodbye to the Kotel was difficult but I definitely made the most of my time there.
Then I got some coffee and went to the Old City market to pick up a few gifts! I had lunch in the Old City. Swarma, which was delicious. As I was eating, I saw Abby Moskowitz! I had no idea that she was in Israel and I just ran into her! It was nice to see a familiar face. She lives in New York but she said that she would be in Denver when I get back, so I look forward to seeing her back home.
Sadly, it was time to leave Jerusalem but I was excited to go meet up with all my cousins again. I went to the central bus station and after a lot of confusion, my cousin Israel helped me figure out that I should take the bus to Ramla.
45 minutes later, I was in Ramla where my cousin Shikea came to pick me up. We went and got some yummy falafel and then headed to Lod, where he lives. All of these small cities are within 15-20 minutes of each other. That is one of the many great things about Israel, everyone and everywhere is so close!
Shikea’s house was great. It felt just like home. After I got settled, my cousin Jake and Erez arrived. After some Coffee and dessert, we went to a Moshsav to hang out with one of Erez’s friends. A Moshsav is a Israeli settlement or town that is community based, usually agricultural. It is similar to kibbutzim. It was a fun time, we made a fire and roasted potatoes. It was funny because it reminded me of Greene Family Camp when we would go camping with the Israeli scouts, lol. It started to really rain, which is great for Israel. Then we went back home. I was excited to stay in my own room with a big warm bed!
Only two days behind now!! I will post more later, I have a big day today!!
Love,
Elisa
P.S. - The other picture site had a limit! So I have started to post ALL my pictures on Facebook! PLEASE message me if you don't have access to the album or see it, so that I can change the setting!
No comments:
Post a Comment